Cleaning mattress toppers, in general, can be awkward and difficult, this is, however, essential. Keeping a casual cleaning pattern for your mattress topper will help the mattress topper have a longer time period of providing high-quality support. Saving your money at the same time through having to replace far less often.
What you will need to begin cleaning a memory foam mattress topper?
- Either a hand vacuum or regular vacuum (If possible with a soft brush attachment).
- Spray bottle.
- If doing outside a spray attachment for a hose.
- If doing inside a spray attachment for your shower head (this will be when doing it in the bath).
- Distilled white vinegar.
- Hair dryer or electric dryer.
Let’s get cleaning, a step by step guide
- Using the vacuum cleaner as well as soft brush attachment, vacuum the foam thoroughly.
- Place mattress topper in a position where you are going to be washing it, if outside ensure it lays on a clean platform to prevent outdoor dirt affecting it such as mud. Also, ensure that it is close to a source of water.
- Mix a third of detergents with two-thirds of water in the spray bottle.
- Standing the foam on end, spray the entire front and back sides with the spray mixture of detergent / water. Note, this job may be a lot simpler with two people. One to hold and one to spray.
- Allow the mattress topper to sit for 30 minutes after spraying.
- Using either the hose or detachable shower attachment, rinse the mattress topper with clean water.
- Fold the mattress topper in half to squeeze out excess water DO NOT twist or wring the foam as this can cause permanent damage to the mattress topper.
- Empty out the spray bottle, clean it and mix again with a fifth being vinegar and four-fifths being water.
- Repeat step 4. With vinegar mixture.
- Repeat step 6. Rinse the mattress topper thoroughly with clean water.
- If air circulation is a problem, or you are pressed for time. You can decrease the total drying time by using a hair dryer on its lowest temperature (higher temperatures may cause damage).
- Finally, ensure the mattress topper is completely dry if so put it back on your mattress!
Removing those nasty stains
If you are in a situation where you believe that you don’t require to fully clean the mattress topper just yet, however, there is a stain you would like to remove. Here are some tips on how to do this while not damaging your memory foam mattress topper:
- Dampen the stain in question with plain water, after which sprinkle with “dry boric acid”, which can be found in the grocery store under the laundry isle. Lightly with a sponge, apply circular motions to the stain until it is gone. After which, use a hair dryer (on low setting) or vacuum with the soft brush attachment to complete the cleansing.
- Use an enzymatic pet stain remover (such as Petzyme – this is available largely at pet stores), after letting it sit for 15 minutes apply damp cloth. When it is completely dry. Vacuum with a vacuum cleaner.
- If this fails, or is way too much effort – which are both completely normal. One can contact a professional mattress cleaning agency to come do the work for you.
Tip to clean a mattress rubber pad with the best vacuum cleaner reviews